English Language GCSE should ensure that students can read fluently and write effectively. They should be able to demonstrate a confident control of Standard English and they should be able to write grammatically correct sentences, deploy figurative language and analyse texts.
GCSE specifications in English language should enable students to:
- Read a wide range of texts, fluently and with good understanding
- Read critically, and use knowledge gained from wide reading to inform and improve their own writing
- Write effectively and coherently using Standard English appropriately
- Use grammar correctly, punctuate and spell accurately
- Acquire and apply a wide vocabulary, alongside a knowledge and understanding of grammatical terminology, and linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
In addition, GCSE specifications in English Language must enable students to:
- Listen to and understand spoken language, and use spoken Standard English effectively
- Response to a work of 20th century literary fiction
- Response to a 19th century non-fiction text
- Response to a 21st century non-fiction text
- Descriptive and narrative writing
- Transactional writing
- An individual presentation
*Please note that unit information is subject to change depending on examinations board. Please contact email@example.com
Students progressing from school are expected to have a grade D in GCSE English, or a Level 2 in Functional Skills English. Applications from mature students with a lower GCSE grade, or no previous attempts are also welcome.
MCM will consider alternative qualifications and for mature students will consider work history as part of the entry requirement process. If you do not meet the above entry requirements please get in touch and we maybe able to help – firstname.lastname@example.org
£750 for 1 year.
£2750 4 GCSE’s with Islamic Studies p/year.
Where does this Lead
- Employment, where a minimum GCSE grade ‘C’ is required.
- Entry to a wide range of Advanced/Level 3 vocational and academic/university courses
- Further study of English Literature or Language at AS or Access level